DEPARTMENT OF PASTORAL AFFAIRS
Chairman: Most Rev. John Ebebe Ayah
Director: Rev. Fr. Michael A. Banjo
This Pastoral Affairs Department helps the Catholic Bishops of Nigeria in the exercise of their pastoral office for the good and service of the Church in Nigeria and the particular Churches. The main task of the department is to develop a comprehensive and realizable pastoral plan for the Church in Nigeria and facilitate its implementation. The department deals with the pastoral activities in the Church and functions at the strategic level with a main task of guiding those relevant bodies in each ecclesiastical circumscription, that function at the operational level, towards realizing the mission of the Church.
DEPARTMENT OF PASTORAL AGENTS
Chairman: Bishop Michael Ekwoyi Apochi
Director: Rev. Fr. Isaac Dugu
The Pastoral Agents Department is a miniature Church that facilitates, oversees, animates, and coordinates the activities and formation of all the Agents of Evangelization; the Clergy, members of the Consecrated life as well as Societies of Apostolic Life (both male and female), Laity, Youth and Seminarians. The department is made up of five units, viz: Clergy, Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, Seminary, Laity and Youth Units. Each has a Bishop Chairman, a Secretary and its Auxiliary Committee constituted by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) made up of men and women appointed from various areas of profession to..
DEPARTMENT OF CHURCH AND SOCIETY
Chairman: Archbishop Matthew Man’Oso Ndagoso
Director: Rev. Fr. Uche Obodoechina
The Church and Society Department is the arm of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) which co-ordinates the work of the Catholic Church in Nigeria as it relates to human society in general. Specifically, it promotes social development, human dignity, democracy, justice, equity, reconciliation and peace.
Within the Department there are four units, namely:
- The Family and Human Life
- The Justice, Development and Peace/Caritas (JDP/Caritas Nigeria)
DIRECTORATE OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS
Chairman: Bishop Denis Chidi Isizoh
Director: Padre Mike Nsikak Umoh
The Directorate of Communications of the CBCN is the voice of the Conference. It publishes the newsletter of the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, the “CSN News”. Which feeds diocesan newspapers and other media organizations, both local and foreign, with information on the Church. It also projects to the public the image of the Catholic Church and Catholics through every legitimate medium. The directorate documents and reacts to matters in the public media concerning the Church and Catholics through every legitimate medium.
The directorate documents and reacts to matters in the public media concerning the Church and Catholics and takes responsibility for….
MISSION AND DIALOGUE
Chairman: Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah
Director: Rev. Fr. Joseph Nomwhange
The department collaborates with Associations and groups that are missionary in character.
LIST OF SOME OF THE ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMMES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Coordinating the National Missionary Council of Nigeria (NMCN)
- Organizing the National Mission Congress(NAMICON) every four years
- Representing the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria (CSN) at the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).
- Participating in the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council (NIREC)
- Collaborating with Catholic Missiologists Association of Nigeria (CAMISAN)
- Visits/ Seminars with Major Seminaries in Nigeria
- Meetings and Seminars with Diocesan Directors of Ecumenism
- Meetings and Seminars with Diocesan Directors of Inter-Religious Dialogue
- Representing the Catholic Church in the Nigeria Anglican Roman Catholic Commission (NARCC).
- Representing the Catholic Church in the Methodist Roman Catholic Dialogue Commission in Nigeria (MERCDCN).
- Mission Orientation Course for those going on Mission or Studies abroad.
- Re-immersion courses for Returned Missionaries
- Mission Sunday Campaign